Social Security

  • U.S. federal law requires all individuals employed in the U.S. to have a Social Security Number (SSN). SSN’s are used to identify employees and tax salaries, and are only issued for the purpose of employment. The Social Security Administration will not issue a SSN for the purpose of opening a bank account or obtaining driver's license or telephone.
  • A SSN is not required to begin employment, but must be obtained immediately after being hired.
  • Useful Link - SSA: International Students and Social Security Numbers

NOTE: For those students (e.g. sponsored students and student athletes) who receive taxable scholarships, grants or stipends from US sources but are not employed in the US, you should apply for the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).


  • Step 1:Employer Verification Form.  To be eligible to apply for a Social Security Number, you must be employed or have a promise of employment from a department on-campus, which is shown by this form.
  1. your host department must complete Part A and print it out on their original department letterhead.
  2. you must have Part B completed by Student Employment in 210 Steele Hall.
  3. after Parts A and B are complete, you must have Part C of the ORIGINAL Employer Verification Form completed by the Slutzker Center.
  • Step 2:Complete I-9 withStudent Employment Office in 210 Steele Hall (for convenience to the student, Steps 1 and 2 should be done simultaneously).
  • Step 3: Social Security waiting period.   Before you can submit an application to the Social Security Administration for a SSN, you must have entered the U.S. on your current visa more than 10 days ago.
  • Step 4: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card - Make sure to provide a valid mailing address
  • Step 5: Go to the Social Security Administration
    • It is located on the 4th Floor of the Federal Building at 100 S. Clinton Street in downtown Syracuse. The office is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm (except on Wednesdays when it closes at noon). We advise you avoid going to the SSA on the first or last day of the month because the waiting time on those particular days may be several hours. If you are not in Syracuse, please check for your nearest local office with the Social Security Administration
    • Take the following with you:
    • Request a RECEIPT for your application and submit a copy of with your SUID number to Payroll at
  • Step 6: In approximately 2-8 weeks you will receive your SSN card in the mail.
  • Step 7: Submit a copy of your Social Security Card to Payroll. Make sure your SUID number is on the copy.
  • Step 8: Complete the Non-Resident Alien Information Form.  
    • To obtain access, email Payroll at with your SUID. 
    • The data collected allows SU to determine your tax withholding status.
    • Any questions you may have regarding the Non-Resident Alien Information Form should be directed to Payroll at The Slutzker Center will not be able to answer questions related to this form.