Change of Status
An application for change of status must be filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Please consult with a Slutzker Center advisor before filing your change of status application.
To apply for a change of status to F-1 or J-1 Student status, you will need the following documentation:
- Form I-539: "Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status"
- Application fee of $370.00; Check should be payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Write the 11-digit "admission number" from your I-94 on the front of the check.
- A cover letter from you addressed to the USCIS requesting the change of status and explaining your circumstances. Include why you entered the U.S. in your current status, why and how your intentions changed after arrival in the U.S. and any other relevant information. (sample)
- Proof of financial support (bank statement, assistantship letter, etc.) equivalent to one year of study including living expenses. (See financial worksheet--SU or ESF)
- A newly-issued Form I-20 or DS 2019 from the Slutzker Center. (You will have to submit a I-20 or DS-2019 request form, provide proof of funding (step 4), and proof of acceptance into program (if applicable).
- SEVIS Fee Receipt (pay online)
- A letter of acceptance from the School or Program you are entering (if applicable).
- Photocopies of the following pages of your passport:
- ID page (with your picture on it)
- Date of expiration page
- The visa page of your passport
- A printout of your electronic I-94.
- Photocopies of additional immigration documents pertaining to your current status:
For example, if you are currently in H-1B or L-1 status, the I-797 Approval Notice. If you are currently in F-2 status, your Dependent I-20 form. If you are currently in J-2 status, your Dependent DS-2019 form.
- If your application includes any dependents (spouse or children), include a copy of the documents listed in items 8, 9, and 10 above, for each dependent. Include also proof of your relationship (marriage certificate, children’s birth certificates) and a newly issued Dependent I-20 or Dependent DS-2019 form for each dependent (see item 5 above).
Please make a photocopy of your entire application and supporting documents for your files before sending them to the USCIS. Send the application to the appropriate USCIS filing address as indicated in the instructions for form I-539.
When you receive a response from the USCIS, please report the outcome to the Slutzker Center for International Services (SCIS) immediately. Send or bring a photocopy of your I-20 or DS-2019, I-797 "Approval Notice" and new I-94 card to the SCIS.