Important Documents

Keep your documents in a safe place.  You should make copies/scans of all of your documents and keep them separate from the originals.

Your important documents include:

Passport. Do not allow the validity of your passport to expire. In general your passport must be valid at least 6 months into the future.

Visa Stamp. This stamp is entered into your passport at the US Consulate or Embassy where you applied for it. It does not govern your stay. It governs the time period during which you may apply for entry into the U.S.

I-94 Card (Arrival/Departure record). This is the white card which is placed in your passport at a land port-of-entry or the electronic version obtained by visiting after arriving through an air or sea port-of-entry. This form should indicate your arrival date, your visa status, and the length of your stay, usually marked D/S (duration of status) for both F-1 and J-1 students. On the I-94, you will find an Admission Number.  This number is your I-94 number and is the identification number with DHS.

I-20 or DS-2019. This is the document that proves your eligibility for F-1 or J-1 status. You must make sure that it is accurate and up-to-date at all times.

In addition to the above documents, the Department of Homeland Security has also identified the following as important items to carry when you travel:

Transcript. It is highly recommended that F-1 and J-1 students who will need to renew their U.S. visa during travel abroad carry copies of their transcripts with them to show the consular officials that you have been making satisfactory progress towards your degree. An increasing number of consulates ask for transcripts when students come to renew F-1 and J-1 visas. Transcripts can be obtained at the Registrar’s Office in 106 STEELE HALL.

Letter of Registration/Confirmation of Enrollment. This can be obtained from the Registrar's Office in 106 STEELE HALL.

Financial Documentation. It's a good idea to carry financial documentation when re-entering the U.S. to approve your continuing ability to pay for studies. You must have financial documentation with you when applying for a new visa at a US Consulate abroad.

Additional Proof of Identity. Carry your Syracuse University ID card with you and any old passports which you may still have.

In the event of an emergency, contact:

Slutzker Center for International Services
Phone: 315-443-2457
You may request to speak to the director, Dr. Patricia Burak.

If the Slutzker Center is closed, contact:

SU Department of Public Safety:
Phone: (315) 443-2224
DPS will contact a Slutzker Center Advisor to assist you.