For current students who would like to transfer out to a different institution and you are still in the USA, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the appropriate transfer out form below, and submit it to the Slutzker Center with an admission letter from the school you plan to attend and their transfer-in form (if applicable).
Sponsored J-1 students:
If you are a sponsored J-1 student and require transfer of your sponsorship, please make an appointment to see a J-1 advisor for sponsored students at the Slutzker Center for further information. Also, please notify your sponsoring agency.
- A Slutzker Center Advisor will process your request as soon as the above is received
- Syracuse University will then release your record to the school you plan to attend.
- Your SEVIS release date will be the end of the semester you are currently attending and within 60 days of your program end date
- You may not work on campus after your "Release Date"
- If you are on OPT, you must be released within 60 days of your completion of OPT at the latest. Your OPT will be terminated upon your release date
- You must begin classes at the new school within 5 months of your program end date or the Release Date, whichever is earlier. If you are on OPT, you must begin studying at the new school within 5 months of transferring out of SU or the date the OPT ends, whichever is earlier
- If you are outside the USA, you are ineligible to transfer out and will need to request an Initial Attendance I-20 document from your new Institution.
If you are a SUNY-ESF student please refer to the ESF Website for the Transfer out information.