Skip to main content

Traveling Outside the U.S.

If you will be traveling outside the U.S., you must have a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 form in order to re-enter the U.S.  A travel signature from a Center for International Services advisor is valid for ONE YEAR (6 months if on OPT).

If you are outside the Syracuse area and need a travel signature, follow the Travel Request Instructions and send an email to the Center for International Services.

If you are in Syracuse and need a travel signature, bring the following documents for you (and your dependents) to the Center for International Services in order to receive a travel signature:

  • Valid passport
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94 card or copy of electronic I-94 which you can access at the Customs and Border Protection website
  • Proof of health insurance valid for a full academic year.  Health insurance coverage should include Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coverage; if your plan does not include this, please purchase Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coverage.

Visits to Canada, Mexico, or Adjacent Islands

When planning a trip to Canada, you should first check whether you would need a visa to enter Canada. If you require a visa, visit the Government of Canada’s visa application page.

If you are returning from Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands you may be eligible for Automatic Visa Revalidation.