Travel for Faculty & Scholars


Travel within the United States for any international student or scholar on a non-immigrant visa does not require any special documentation, letters, or any signatures from the Slutzker Center. Still, anyone on a non-immigrant visa should be able to present proof of their legal status within the United States at any time. It is recommended that for travel outside of Syracuse, you take your passport and at least a photocopy of your accompanying documentation (i.e. DS-2019). Also, it is recommended that you keep photocopies of your main passport page, visa page, I-94 Card, and any other visa documentation with you at all times even when not traveling.


Visa Requirements for Transit through and Travel to Other Countries

Traveling through/to another country may involve obtaining a transit/entry visa to that country. It is best to check the consulate website of the country you wish to visit to get the current visa procedures. Do not assume that you will be allowed to transit through a 3rd country without a visa prior to your departure. Failure to obtain necessary transit/entry visas may result in being denied entry onto your flight.

Travel to Canada and Mexico (and the Adjacent Islands for those in F- or J-visa status)

For visits to Canada and Mexico that last less than 30-days [22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d); 8 C.F.R. § 214.1 (b) (1)], it is possible to return to the United States without having to renew an expired visa stamp. Those in J-visa status also may visit a limited number of adjacent Caribbean islands under the automatic visa revalidation program.

Note: Citizens of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria are not eligible for automatic visa revalidation and must always have a valid US Visa Stamp in order to return to the United States.

Please remember that you may be required to obtain a visa to enter Canada, Mexico, or the adjacent Caribbean islands.

J-1 Scholars and J-2 Dependents International Travel 

  • You must obtain a travel signature on your DS-2019 form from an ARO (J-1 Scholar Advisor at the Slutzker Center) in order to re-enter the U.S. after any international travel.
  • Signatures are valid for up to one year or up to 6 months for short-term scholars.
  • You must carry your DS-2019 endorsed for travel, visa, I-94 card, passport, and appointment letter

To be able to travel outside of and return to the United States in J status, you will need to have a valid signature from either the Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) on the front page of your J-1 or J-2 DS-2019 Document in the Travel Validation Section.

Anyone in J-1 or J-2 Status must visit or contact the Slutzker Center at least one week before any travel out of the United States. One week is necessary to allow the Slutzker Center Advisor to sign your documents or to make any changes to your DS-2019 before your travel. Travel signatures are valid for one year and must be valid on the date which you wish to return. Also, your DS-2019 must still be valid, meaning your program end-date must not have passed in order to be able to reenter the United States.

Additionally, J-1 scholars seeking to reenter the United States must have a valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the date you intend to return to the United States. If your passport is expiring, you should make plans to renew or extend your passport before your travel.

With the exception of visits to Canada, Mexico, and the adjacent Caribbean islands that last less than 30-days [22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d); 8 C.F.R. § 214.1 (b) (1)], you will also need to have a valid J-1 or J-2 visa stamp in your passport to be able to return to the United States. The J-1 and J-2 Visa Stamps cannot be obtained within the United States. Visa appointments must be made with a consulate or embassy outside of the United States for the renewal or initial J-Visa.