Maintaining O-1 Status

All international faculty, staff, scholars and students should maintain their passport validity.  In general, it is best to have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months longer than the intended dates of stay.  If renewal of a passport is necessary, check with your embassy or consulate about the renewal process.

If your address has changed since the last time you were issued a Form I-94 Departure Record (the little white card in your passport), you must file Form AR-11 with DHS within 10 days of your move in order to satisfy the notification requirement.  The AR-11 form and instructions can be found on the USCIS Website under "Immigration Forms" here:

USCIS also has an option to report address changes online at:

If you plan to complete the paper AR-11 form instead of submitting the change-of-address online, the Slutzker Center recommends that you make a copy of your completed AR-11 for your records before you mail it. Use Certified Mail and request a Return Receipt from the U.S. Postal Service. This will provide proof that you sent notification of your change of address in case there is a discrepancy with DHS records.

You should also inform the Slutzker Center of any change of your physical residence (apartment or home address) or contact information in the United States using the online form -  This is to ensure we have the most accurate contact information for you.

Verbal notice of a change of address to the Slutzker Center does not constitute compliance with the SEVIS 10-day reporting requirement.

Filing a forwarding address with the U.S. Postal Service will not satisfy the reporting requirement for the Department of Homeland Security. Mail from the U.S. government will not be forwarded by the Post Office and will be returned to the issuing government agency as undeliverable.  This is important for anyone who is waiting for a Social Security Card from the SSA or a change-of-status or employment authorization from USCIS.

If you have previously filed an application and it is pending with a DHS USCIS Service Center or other field office (e.g. for work authorization or petition for Permanent Residence) updating MySlice or filing the AR-11 WILL NOT update your address with the respective DHS office which is handling your petition. You must inform the appropriate DHS office separately in order to update your application address and ensure that you will receive notifications regarding your petition. Contact the Slutzker Center for instructions on the best way to inform these offices of your change of address.

O-1s are only valid initially for 3 years with the option to extend 1 year at a time.

If the O-1 holder has not left the country since the most recent O-1 Approval, they are valid to stay in the country for the time period listed on the O-1 I-797 Approval Notice.

If an O-1 holder has traveled outside of the U.S. since obtaining O-1 status, they should have an I-94 card in their passport that notes their O-1 status and an end date of the status which matches the end date on the O-1 I-797 Approval Notice.  The I-94 is the white card which should be stapled inside the passport next to the most current O-1 Visa.

As long as the O-1 holder extends his/her O-1 status before the end date listed on the I-94 or on the O-1 I-797 Approval, they will be able to remain in the United States.

If the O-1 holder plans to leave the program earlier than the end date on the O-1 I-797 Approval Notice, they must inform the Slutzker Center for International Services.

O-1 visa status is job specific as well as employer and department specific.

Those in O-1 status CANNOT work for any employer other than the one listed on the I-797 O-1 Approval Notice.

While an O-1 holder can be reimbursed for travel related expenses (airfare, hotel, meals, etc.), O-1 holders CANNOT receive honoraria or fees from other US institutions, organizations, or businesses for lectures or for contractual services.

An O-1 holder can transfer to another employer or be employed by multiple employers as long as the O-1 holder is currently in valid status and the new employer files an O-1 application and receives approval in a timely manner (before the intended start date of new employment and before the expiration of the current O-1 Approval).  O-1 holders cannot start work with a new employer (whether as a transfer or a second employer) until the I-797 Approval Notice is received.

Before taking new employment, talk to the Slutzker Center for International Services.  The Slutzker Center must withdraw or cancel your O-1 when you end your employment with Syracuse University.  The withdrawal of the O-1 petition may affect your employment eligibility with your new employer.

There are specific travel requirements for anyone on a temporary visa: Before you Travel