Travel within the United States for any international student or scholar on a non-immigrant visa does not require any special documentation, letters, or any signatures from the Slutzker Center. Still, anyone on a non-immigrant visa should be able to present proof of their legal status within the United States at any time. It is recommended that for travel outside of Syracuse, you take your passport and at least a photocopy of your accompanying documentation (i.e. O-1 Approval Notice). Also, it is recommended that you keep photocopies of your main passport page, visa page, I-94 Card, and any other visa documentation with you at all times even when not traveling.


Visa Requirements for Transit through and Travel to Other Countries

Traveling through/to another country may involve obtaining a transit/entry visa to that country. It is best to check the consulate website of the country you wish to visit to get the current visa procedures. Do not assume that you will be allowed to transit through a 3rd country without a visa prior to your departure. Failure to obtain necessary transit/entry visas may result in being denied entry onto your flight.

Travel to Canada and Mexico

For visits to Canada and Mexico that last less than 30-days [22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d); 8 C.F.R. § 214.1 (b) (1)], it is possible to return to the United States without having to renew an expired visa stamp.

Note: Citizens of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria are not eligible for automatic visa revalidation and must always have a valid US Visa Stamp in order to return to the United States.

Please remember that you may be required to obtain a visa to enter Canada or Mexico.

O-1 International Travel

To be able to travel outside of and return to the United States in O-1 status, you will need to carry documentation of your O-1 status with the institution. The documentation of your status with Syracuse University includes the original approval notice for your O-1 as well as copies of all O-1 application materials and your appointment letter for your current position at SU.

Additionally, O-1s seeking to reenter the United States must have a valid passport. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the date you intend to return to the United States. If your passport is expiring, you should make plans to renew or extend your passport before your travel.

With the exception of visits to Canada or Mexico that last less than 30-days [22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d); 8 C.F.R. § 214.1 (b) (1)], you will also need to have a valid O-1 visa stamp in your passport to be able to return to the United States. The O-1 Visa Stamp cannot be obtained within the United States. Visa appointments must be made with a US Consulate or Embassy outside of the United States to obtain or renew the O-1 Visa.

It is recommended that faculty and staff in O-1 status carry their most recent SU Appointment Letter as well as a copy of their O-1 approval notice and supporting petition.