Travel within the United States for any international student or scholar on a non-immigrant visa does not require any special documentation, letters, or any signatures from the Slutzker Center. Still, anyone on a non-immigrant visa should be able to present proof of their legal status within the United States at any time. It is recommended that for travel outside of Syracuse, you take your passport and at least a photocopy of your accompanying documentation. Also, it is recommended that you keep photocopies of your main passport page, visa page, I-94 Card, and any other visa documentation with you at all times even when not traveling.


Visa Requirements for Transit through and Travel to Other Countries

Traveling through/to another country may involve obtaining a transit/entry visa to that country. It is best to check the consulate website of the country you wish to visit to get the current visa procedures. Do not assume that you will be allowed to transit through a 3rd country without a visa prior to your departure. Failure to obtain necessary transit/entry visas may result in being denied entry onto your flight.

Travel to Canada and Mexico

For visits to Canada and Mexico that last less than 30-days [22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d); 8 C.F.R. § 214.1 (b) (1)], it is possible to return to the United States without having to renew an expired visa stamp.

Note: Citizens of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria are not eligible for automatic visa revalidation and must always have a valid US Visa Stamp in order to return to the United States.

Please remember that you may be required to obtain a visa to enter Canada or Mexico.

TN International Travel

To be able to travel outside of and return to the United States in TN status, you will need to carry documentation of your TN status with the institution. In general, the documentation of your TN status would be your appointment letter and proof of your TN qualifications. If you applied for a TN from within the US (via an I-129 filed by Syracuse University), the documentation of your status with Syracuse University will include the original approval notice for your TN as well as copies of all TN application materials and your appointment letter for your current position at SU.

Additionally, TNs seeking to reenter the United States must have a valid passport proving Canadian or Mexican citizenship. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the date you intend to return to the United States. If your passport is expiring, you should make plans to renew or extend your passport before your travel.

For Mexican Citizens, with the exception of visits to Canada or Mexico that last less than 30-days [22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d); 8 C.F.R. § 214.1 (b) (1)], you will also need to have a valid TN visa stamp in your passport to be able to return to the United States. The TN Visa Stamp cannot be obtained within the United States. Visa appointments must be made with a US Consulate or Embassy outside of the United States to obtain or renew the TN Visa.

Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa stamp requirement in general, meaning that they do not have to get a TN (or TD-dependent) Visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy.

It is recommended that faculty and staff in TN status carry their most recent SU Appointment Letter whenever traveling internationally.