Check-In FAQ

  1. When can I activate my netID?
    • You should be  able to activate your netID as soon as you have your admission letter listing your SUID number.

  2. When can I login to MySlice?
    • You will be able to login to MySlice as soon as you have activated your netID.

  3. Who should I put as my Emergency Contact?
    • You should enter two separate emergency contacts into MySlice - one that is in the US and one that is in your home country.  Often students will put a friend, roommate, or relative for their US emergency contact person.  For the home country contact, most students will enter either their mother or father.
  4. I received a paper I-94 card.  What should I do?
    • Students who enter through land borders will continue to be issued paper I-94 cards.  If that is the case, you do not need to visit the CBP website to access your electronic I-94.  Instead, you will bring the paper I-94 card with you when you check-in at the Slutzker Center.
  5. When I enter my information to obtain my electronic I-94 and submit, it says "Record NOT FOUND."  What should I do?
    • You should double check that you entered everything correctly just as it appears on your visa.  If that doesn't work, you should try entering your name as it appears on your airline boarding pass.  If that doesn't work, you should try entering your First Name as your Last Name and your Last Name as your First Name.  If none of the above options work, then you should print out the screen showing that your record was not found and bring that with you when you come to the Slutzker Center to check-in.
  6. Where can I go on campus to have access to a computer and/or printer?
    • Computers and printers are available at Bird Library and the Schine Student Center (map).  Both of these locations are just across the street from the Slutzker Center.

  7. When can I come to check-in at the Slutzker Center?
    • You should check-in at the Slutzker Center as soon as possible after your arrival in Syracuse.  Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30am-5pm (except during the summer when the hours change to 8am-4:30pm)

  8. Why do I need health insurance?
    • Syracuse University expects that all international students will obtain and maintain health insurance coverage for the duration of their academic program. Adequate coverage in the US is very important.  Even a short stay at a US hospital or emergency room can cost thousands of dollars.

  9. Is International Student Orientation mandatory?
    • Yes, even if you are a transfer student or an exchange student, all international students must attend Orientation.