Syracuse University expects that all international students will obtain and maintain health insurance coverage for the duration of their academic program. Adequate coverage in the US is very important. For further information please refer to the Essential Medical Information and Health Insurance document.
Syracuse University has selected an insurance plan to best meet the needs of our students and scholars. The plan is provided by HTH Worldwide Insurance Services and is designed especially for Syracuse University! The customized policy Syracuse University has selected will provide up to $250,000 of benefits each policy year. Our local servicing broker, Haylor, Freyer & Coon, Inc. will continue to provide international students with personalized administrative services.
To purchase the Syracuse University HTH insurance plan, please use the following links:
Should you have any questions please call Haylor, Freyer and Coon at 315-451-1500, or 1-800-289-1501, and ask for a college specialist. You can also e-mail them: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accepted Health Insurance Plans for International Students at Syracuse Univeristy
Anyone wishing to purchase a policy other than the University approved HTH Worldwide policy must obtain advance approval from the Slutzker Center for International Services. Policies, especially from abroad, which do not include mental health coverage, pregnancy coverage, or medical evacuation/repatriation coverage WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- The Slutzker Center highly recommends that you purchase the Syracuse University HTH International Student Health Insurance Plan indicated above.
- Adequate health insurance should be purchased for a full year and renewed each year thereafter until the end of your program, unless your program is for less than one year. The HTH policy does allow you to pay for this one year policy in two half year payments, half in August and the other half prior to February 1, 2015.
- If you do not select the HTH plan, the Slutzker Center expects that you will purchase and maintain a health insurance plan that meets the following health insurance coverage minimum requirements:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 (US $) per person per accident or illness. We encourage you to have much higher coverage than above minimum required amount.
- Medical benefit coverage of at least the following expenses:
- Physician and surgical, ambulance,emergency room, hospital, out-patient and mental and nervous costs, new born infant
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500 (US $)
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $10,000 (US $)
- A deductible not to exceed $100.
- Expenses associated with pregnancy, if you are a female student or your female spouse is enrolled in the plan.
- If your health insurance plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation coverage, you may purchase FrontierMedex supplemental insurance.
J-1 Students and Scholars Sponsored by Syracuse University:
- J-1 students MUST, under the terms of their program and Department of State regulations, maintain health insurance for themselves and any J-2 dependents throughout the duration of their exchange visitor program.
- Adequate health insurance should be purchased for a full year and renewed each year thereafter until the end of your program, unless the J-1 exchange visitor program is for less than one year. In the case of a program that is for less than one year, the J-1 exchange visitor would only have to provide proof of coverage for duration of the program period.
- The medical insurance coverage for you and your dependent family members must meet the following minimum federal guideline requirements:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness;
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his/her home country in the amount of $10,000; and
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500.
- Not all health insurance plans include medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (e.g., POMCO does not include this coverage).
- Medical evacuation and repatriation coverage can be purchased for $28.00year through FrontierMedex.
- SEVIS Authorized Responsible Officers of the J program are required to maintain proof that Exchange Visitors have adequate insurance in effect throughout the entire time they are participating in the sponsor’s program.
- Proof of adequate health insurance coverage must indicate the duration of your coverage including the end date of the policy. If your actual health insurance card does not provide this information, you should make a copy of your insurance plan details that indicate the insurance coverage start and end dates.
- You are required to show proof of your current, valid health insurance whenever you request any of the following benefits from a Slutzker Center J-1 Responsible Officer:
- SEVIS validation upon arrival and completion of the check-in process - your SEVIS record must be validated within 30 days of your arrival or else you will be out of status.
- Travel signature for re-entry to the U.S.
- Extension of J-1 program and DS-2019
- Authorization of Academic Training for J-1 Students