Health Insurance

Insurance Information for International Students and Scholars

Students who are MATRICULATED and studying at Syracuse University on a FULL TIME basis will be automatically enrolled in an ACA compliant policy written in the U.S. by AETNA, a well-known health insurance company. The charge ($1890) will appear on the Syracuse University billing statement which is sent to all registered, full-time matriculated students.  There is a possibility of completing an on-line application for EXEMPTION from this fee IF you have an ACA compliant health insurance policy which is sold through a company BASED in the United States.

For SCHOLARS, and international students who will NOT be included* in this institutional health insurance policy, we are recommending either the policies offered by HTH Worldwide or International Student Protection (ISP).  These websites appear below. For the HTH Worldwide policy, you must enroll in a “Voluntary” plan. In the ISP program, you may enroll in either RANGER or CRUSADER.  Please visit these websites and decide which policy best suits your needs.  If you have questions, you may contact the Slutzker /Center at or the Syracuse University Health Service, Palma Cassano, at

It is strongly advised that you do not have a lapse in coverage. If your current coverage expires on July 31, 2015, sign up for new coverage beginning August 1, 2015, even if you will not be in the U.S. until later in August.  You should NEVER have a LAPSE in coverage, even when you are out of the country.

For more questions, please refer to the letter from the director of the Slutzker Center which is posted on the front page of the SCIS website: 

To sign up for health insurance, go to either of these websites and have your credit card available:

Please provide the Slutzker Center with a copy (either electronic or hard copy) of your enrollment agreement, and the receipt with starting and ending dates of your coverage. You must have health insurance in effect every day of your stay in the U.S.  Scholars and students who request travel signatures, and students who request authorization for curricular or optional practical training will have to provide evidence of continuous health insurance coverage prior to obtaining these immigration benefits. New students will need the proof of insurance in order to clear immigration status at the Slutzker Center upon arrival.