Health Insurance

Insurance Information for International Students and Scholars

Matriculated Full-Time Students

A student’s health and well-being is crucial to their capacity to learn. To ensure students are prepared for medical situations that could create barriers to their learning, Syracuse University requires full-time, matriculated students to carry qualifying health insurance coverage. Through the Syracuse University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), eligible students have access to comprehensive health care coverage. The charge will appear on the Syracuse University billing statement which is sent to all registered, full-time matriculated students

There is a possibility of completing an on-line application for a WAIVER from this fee IF you have a policy which is:
  • Provided by a U.S.-based insurer;
  • Covers emergency and non-emergency services in the Syracuse area;
  • Compliant with all aspects of the Affordable Health Care Act (ACA).

For more information about the health insurance plan and to access frequently asked questions, please visit the Student Health Insurance website

Matriculated Part-Time Students, Non-Matriculated Students, Students on OPT and Visiting Scholars

The following individuals are NOT subject to the new University requirement of an ACA compliant health insurance policy written in the U.S.:

  • Students who are in their last semester of study and allowed to be registered part-time  
  • Non-matriculated students (SU Abroad Exchange Students, Humphrey Fellows)
  • Students applying for or approved for OPT
  • Visiting Scholars in J-1 Professor, Research Scholar, Short-term Scholar, Specialist or Intern Status

This group is NOT eligible for the AETNA plan.  Three policies are recommended for acceptable coverage:

Although these policies WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED for full-time matriculated students, the coverage is sufficient for these other categories for 2017-2018.

It is strongly advised that you do not have a lapse in coverage. If your current coverage expires on July 31, 2018, sign up for new coverage beginning August 1, 2018, even if you will not be in the U.S. until later in August.  You should NEVER have a LAPSE in coverage, even when you are out of the country.

Please provide the Slutzker Center with a copy (either electronic or hard copy) of your enrollment agreement, and the receipt with starting and ending dates of your coverage. You must have health insurance in effect every day of your stay in the U.S.  Scholars and students who request travel signatures, and students who request authorization for curricular or optional practical training will have to provide evidence of continuous health insurance coverage prior to obtaining these immigration benefits. New students will need the proof of insurance in order to clear immigration status at the Slutzker Center upon arrival.  

If you have questions, you may contact the Slutzker Center.