Transferring your SEVIS record

For F-1 & J-1 students transferring to Syracuse University.

To receive your transfer I-20 or DS-2019:

  1. Receive an admission letter from SU.
  2. Complete the SU Transfer-In Form. You should complete Section A of the Transfer-In form. Please have your International Student Advisor fill out Section B.  Your request to transfer must be submitted to your international student advisor "before you leave the USA", if you plan to travel.  Requests to transfer made from outside the USA will not be accepted by Syracuse University.
  3. Next, please scan it and e-mail it to the Slutzker Center at  with the subject line of "Transfer-In Form".
  4. After the Transfer-In Form is received and it is past the release date indicated on it, Syracuse University will issue a new Transfer Pending I-20 or a new DS-2019
  5. If you indicated on the form that you will remain in the US, you can pick up the document from the Slutzker Center for International Services when you arrive at Syracuse University.
  6. If you indicated that you will travel out of the US after completing/leaving your previous school or university and before you will attend Syracuse University, we will mail the form by regular airmail to the address that you provided (airmail can take 3 to 4 weeks to be received overseas). If you would like to receive your document quicker, you are welcome to pay for express mailing (you should receive it overseas in approximately a week). Click here for document shipping options.

Important Reminders:

  • Check-in with the Slutzker Center - It is mandatory that you report in person to the Slutzker Center for International Services (SCIS) upon your arrival to Syracuse University.
  • Arrive Early Enough - Please remember that you must arrive early enough before the start of classes to check in with the Slutzker Center (SCIS), find housing, and attend the International Student Orientation. 
  • Check If Your Visa Has Expired - If you are not a Canadian citizen, you need to check the visa stamp in your passport to make sure that it will be valid upon re-entry to the United States.
    • Unexpired Visa - You do not need to apply for a new visa stamp if your current one is still valid. Despite the fact that your current visa F1 / J1 stamp indicates your previous school, you will be able to use it to re-enter the US when using your Syracuse University transfer pending I-20 / DS-2019.
    • Expired Visa - If you are going to travel out of the US with the transfer pending I-20 or DS-2019 and your previous F1 or J1 visa has expired, you should use the Transfer Pending I-20 or DS-2019 to obtain a new visa stamp for your passport. If you do not have a valid visa, you need to obtain the visa appropriate to the document that you are requesting. Please contact the U.S. Consulate in your home country for application procedures. Be prepared to present financial documentation with the I-20 / DS-2019 document when you apply for the visa. As a transfer student, you are not required to pay the SEVIS fee again unless you no longer have proof that you have paid it. You should carry all of your previous I-20 or DS-2019 forms to your visa interview and when entering the US in the event that you are asked further questions about your previous status.
  • Read the Pre-Arrival Information - Please take the time to review the Pre-Arrival Information.
  • Receive Your Continued Attendance I-20 (F-1 Students ONLY) - If you have checked-in with SCIS and are registered as a full-time student, SCIS will register your record in SEVIS. Approximately 2 to 4 weeks after classes begin, we will issue you a "Continued Attendance" I-20. You will be notified by e-mail about when you can pick up the updated I-20 from SCIS. You must pick up the Continued Attendance I-20, as it will be the most current I-20 and will be the one you use to travel, fill out I-9's, obtain a drivers license, and apply for a social security number.


If you have any questions, or concerns, please contact the Slutzker Center. Our office hours are Monday - Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm during the academic year (8:00am to 4:30pm during the summer). We wish you a safe journey to Syracuse University and we look forward to meeting you.

Transfer Questions?

Slutzker Center Advisor

Transfer-in & Transfer-out contact:

Ph: 315-443-2457
Fax: 315-443-3091
Subject Line: Transfer-In or Transfer-Out

skype logo

Transfer Questions?

If you are currently in the U.S. in F-1 status and will be transferring to Syracuse University, you can ask questions on your transfer process to an advisor through Skype.

When: Skype sessions are made by appointment. Please send your appointment request and Skype ID to

We look forward to Skyping with you!