Skip to main content

SEVIS Transfer In

The below information is for F-1 and J-1 students transferring to Syracuse University.

To receive your “Transfer Pending” I-20 or DS-2019:

  1. Receive an admission letter from Syracuse University.
  2. Complete section A of the transfer-in form. Please have your international student advisor at your current school complete Section B.
  3. Scan the transfer-in form and email it to the Slutzker Center  with the subject line "Transfer-In Form."
  4. After the transfer-in form is received and it is past your SEVIS release date, Syracuse University will issue a new “Transfer Pending” I-20 or a new DS-2019.
  5. If you indicated on the form that you will remain in the U.S., you can pick up the document from the Slutzker Center for International Services when you arrive at Syracuse University to check in.
  6. If you indicated that you will travel out of the U.S. after completing/leaving your previous school or university and before attending Syracuse University, you can arrange for express shipping of your document.


Important Reminders:

  • Check-in with the Slutzker Center - It is mandatory that you report in person to the Slutzker Center for International Services upon your arrival to Syracuse University. Please bring your passport, visa, and DS 2019 or I-20s with you when you come to check-in.
  • Arrive Early - Please remember that you must arrive early enough before the start of classes to check in with the Slutzker Center, find housing, and attend the International Student Orientation
  • Check if your Visa Has Expired - You need to check the visa stamp in your passport to make sure that it will be valid upon re-entry to the United States. Canadian citizens do not need a U.S. visa.
    • Unexpired Visa - You do not need to apply for a new visa stamp if your current one is still valid. You will be able to use your current visa to re-enter the U.S. when using your Syracuse University “Transfer Pending” I-20 or your new DS-2019, despite the fact that your visa stamp has your previous school’s name on it.
    • Expired Visa - If you are going to travel out of the U.S. with the “Transfer Pending” I-20 or DS-2019 and your previous F-1 or J-1 visa has expired, you should use the “Transfer Pending” I-20 or DS-2019 to obtain a new visa stamp for your passport. If you do not have a valid visa, you need to obtain the visa type that matches the document that you are requesting (F-1 or J-1). Please contact the U.S. Consulate in your home country for application procedures. Be prepared to present financial documentation with the I-20 or DS-2019 when you apply for the visa. As a transfer student, you are not required to pay the SEVIS fee again unless you received a new SEVIS number. You should carry all of your previous I-20 or DS-2019 forms to your visa interview and when entering the U.S. in the event that you are asked further questions about your previous status.
  • Review the Pre-Arrival Information.


For F-1 Students Only:

  • Receive Your Continued Attendance I-20 - If you have checked in with the Slutzker Center and are registered as a full-time student, we will register your record in SEVIS. Approximately two to four weeks after classes begin, we will issue you a "Continued Attendance" I-20. You will be notified by email when the updated I-20 has been printed. You must pick up the “Continued Attendance” I-20, as it will be the most current I-20 and will be the one you use to travel, fill out I-9s, obtain a driver’s license, and apply for a social security number.