SU Departments

The information in this section is intended to provide Syracuse University departments with information about hosting international students, faculty, staff and research scholars.

  • If you are a current or prospective international faculty member, staff member, or research scholar, please see our section for International Faculty & Staff.
  • If you are a newly admitted student, please see our section for New Students.
  • If you are a current international student, please see our section for Current Students.

For specific information about the visa categories which Syracuse University commonly sponsors, please select from the categories below:

  • F-1 and J-1 Students
    The F-1 is the most common status used by international students in the U.S. J-1 student status is generally reserved for the sponsored students who receive either government or NGO financial support, but it can be used for students sponsored by Syracuse University.

  • Determining the Right Visa Type
    This page provides Syracuse University departments with a quick overview of the most common immigration statuses of international faculty and staff. The list of visa types is broken down into two groups: those sponsored by SU and those that are independent of SU sponsorship.

  • J-1 Exchange Visitors
    This is the most common status used for visiting international professors and researchers at Syracuse University.

For further information about the following possible visa categories, please contact Jennifer Gavilondo in the Office of University Counsel.

  • H-1B Temporary Workers
    The H 1B nonimmigrant status permits temporary employment in "Specialty Occupations." The minimum requirement for H-1B employment sponsorship is that the position requires the minimum of a bachelor's degree in the field of the proposed employment.

  • TN Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Workers
    The TN category permits Canadian or Mexican citizens entry to the U.S. to be employed in certain designated professions, and/or engage in certain designated professional activities.

  • O-1 Aliens of Extraordinary Ability
    This category is for people with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics and it requires extensive documentation of prolonged national or international recognition.

  • Permanent Residents
    Sponsorship for Permanent Residency is reserved for international faculty and staff who have been offered permanent positions at Syracuse University.

  • Honoraria: Guest Lecturers & Contractors
    When hosting an international guest lecturer or contractor who will perform services within the United States, Syracuse University is limited by very specific regulations from the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Labor regarding payment and honoraria. This section is to help the department determine who is eligible to be paid.


Syracuse University has a proud tradition of welcoming international faculty, staff, and visiting scholars from around the world who enliven our community and enrich our scholarship. The Slutzker Center for International Services is pleased to support these scholars and their hiring or host departments by assisting with immigration-related matters and providing information to help scholars and their families settle into the Syracuse University and surrounding community.

The Slutzker Center is the University’s designated representative for all immigration concerns, including determining the appropriate visa type, preparing and filing immigration petitions, and verifying work or payment eligibility.

Departments should consider the following when inviting or offering employment to an international scholar:

  1. All employees must have valid immigration status with the appropriate work authorization prior to commencing employment, and they must maintain a work-eligible status for the duration of the employment. Departments contemplating hiring a foreign national should consult with the Slutzker Center as early as possible so that the Center can help the department and individual determine which status is most appropriate to ensure University and the prospective employee’s compliance with federal regulations. At the department’s request, the Center would then facilitate the preparation and submission of the required petition.
  2. Similarly, if a department wishes to invite an international visitor to campus to present or consult with the intention of paying him or her an honorarium or other fee, then he or she must have a visa status that allows such payment. The University requires that all departments wishing to pay an international visitor to consult with the Slutzker Center prior to inviting the visitor, preferably well in advance of the expected visit. Departments bringing visitors to campus without prior consultation and approval of the Slutzker Center risk a denial of the payment request if it is later determined that the visitor is not payment-eligible.
  3. Determining the appropriate status for a prospective employee or visitor depends on a number of factors, including federal regulations, University policy, the expected start date and duration of the employment or visit; the expected salary; and the individual’s current status, immigration history, international travel plans, long-term plans for working in the U.S., and family concerns. The Slutzker Center welcomes questions from hiring departments and candidates regarding which immigration status is most applicable to the given circumstances.
  4. Only the Slutzker Center may file employment-based immigration petitions on behalf of the University. Neither departments, nor academic schools, nor employees may sign an employment-based immigration petition or hire an outside attorney to prepare a petition on behalf of Syracuse University.