SSN, ITIN & Taxes

If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you will have to apply for one since U.S. federal law requires all individuals employed in the U.S. to have a SSN. SSN’s are used to identify employees and tax salaries, and are only issued for the purpose of employment. A SSN is not required to begin employment, but must be obtained immediately after being hired. Additional information about SSN’s for internationals is available at:

Step 1: Complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification process at the Slutzker Center for International Services.

Step 2: Complete Social Security waiting period (if applicable). Before you can apply for a SSN, you must have entered the U.S. more than 10 days ago.

Step 3: Gather the required application materials.

  • Original DS-2019, passport, visa, and I-94
  • Employment Memo endorsed in Part B by a Slutzker Center International Student/Scholar Advisor

Step 4: Apply for a Social Security Number (4th floor of Federal Building, 100 S. Clinton Street, Syracuse, NY)

Step 5: Submit 2 copies of your SSN Application Receipt to the Slutzker Center with your SU ID number written on top of each copy.

Step 6: After receiving your SSN Card, make 2 copies with your SUID indicated on them and submit one copy to each of the following:

  • Payroll Office, Skytop Office Building or 211 Steele Hall
  • Slutzker Center for International Services, 310 Walnut Place

NOTE: Failure to submit a copy of your Social Security Card to the Payroll Office and the Slutzker Center will result in a hold being placed on your paycheck or termination from your job; so, please be sure to apply for a SSN immediately and submit copies in a timely manner.


All scholars, student interns, and other researchers who have received income from US sources must have either a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) and must file income tax forms. If you are not employed in the US, the Social Security Office will deny your application for a Social Security Number. Issuance of a SSN requires that you be employed in the US. Instead, you will most likely need to apply for an ITIN.  

How to Apply for an ITIN:



Extensive tax resources and information are available in the Tax Section of the Slutzker Center website: